In 2017 we were successful in securing funding from Building a Stronger Britain Together Fund, which is a Home Office led programme. This money will enable us to carry out essential community cohesion work. Work for the project started in 2018. Organisational objectives are:
- to increase the sense of belonging for new arrivals to the area
- to promote cultural understanding between different communities
- to empower individuals to tackle and challenge extremist views
- to reduce levels of isolation experienced by target groups.
Our project objectives are:
- to encourage dialogue between different communities through various community events, e.g. bring and share, workshops and ‘meet your neighbour’ events
- to equip key individuals within the community with the skills, knowledge and information needed to challenge extremist viewpoints
- to give individuals a sense of identity and belonging through the provision of a befriending support scheme and ‘safe spaces’ such as coffee mornings.
Below: Syrian Families from The Unity Centre enjoying a day out in Llandudno